We're still giving you the who's who of the top CSAs in the Philadelphia area, but act fast because 2010 shares are getting gobbled up faster than a boxful of local chocolates—John & Kira's chocolate bees to be exact!)
The owner and CSA manager of Wimer’s Organics, Bud Wimer, knows a thing or two about quality organic produce. Wimer began his organic education at Paradise Organics, a farm in Lancaster County that has been churning out produce for over twenty years. In 2007, Wimer started his own business, providing the organic produce grown at Paradise and its sister farm in East Earl to local eaters. Run by three dedicated families, the two farms contribute 15 acres in fresh produce for their 30-week CSA season (which runs from May 5 to November 23).
Those who join the Wimer’s Organics CSA can expect to receive a long list of delicious benefits including certified organic vegetables and herbs, a weekly newsletter, delivery to their area, plus optional egg, flower, meat and dairy shares.
Register by April 30 to receive a $50 discount on full shares and $25 off half shares!
Wimer’s Organics CSA Facts:
The 2010 CSA season application is now available. Full Shares ($850), featuring eight items, are delivered each week and feed two to four people. Half shares ($435)—which also feature eight items—are delivered every other week.
- Wednesday is the CSA share pick-up day. There are pick-up locations in Lancaster County, Berks County, Lebanon County, Montgomery County, Chester County and Philadelphia.
- All shares are boxed by Wimer’s in re-usable wax produce boxes that ensure maximum freshness.
- The optional Egg Share is offered for both Full ($120) and Half ($63) shares and features one dozen organic eggs.
- Share owners can choose from a variety of optional flower shares: Plentiful Picks is a mix of annual flowers that will be delivered for 15 weeks. Biweekly Beauties features eight bunches of annuals and the Simply Sunflowers option is delivered biweekly for a total of five bunches.
- Those interested in adding more produce, eggs or flowers to their share or incorporating organic yogurt, beef, chicken and turkey may request these items. They will be supplied by both Wimer’s Organics and other local farms depending on availability.
- Wimer’s grows over 40 varieties of vegetables throughout their 30-week season including heirloom tomatoes, eggplant and fennel.