Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup with Jalapeno Yogurt
recipe by Ashley Jerome
- 6 cups water
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped roughly
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 stalks celery, chopped roughly
- 3 carrots, chopped roughly
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and cut in half
- 2 bulbs garlic with tops cut off
- 3 lbs. tomatoes
- olive oil, about 2 tbsp.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
For the jalapeno yogurt:
- 2 cups Pequea Valley Plan Yogurt
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- juice from 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring the first seven ingredients to a boil, then simmer. Let reduce by half. This takes roughly one hour.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place cut-side down on a baking pan with the garlic, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Put in oven for one hour.
- While you wait, prepare the jalapeno yogurt. Simply mix all ingredients and refrigerate, uncovered.
- When the stock is finished, remove from heat, drain out the vegetables and reserve the stock.
- In a large stock pot add the roasted garlic and some of the residual oil from pan containing the tomatoes. On high heat combine the vegetables and wine. Add the tomatoes and stir for about five minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Blend in a food processor, blender or a hand blender. Serve hot or cold, with a dollop of yogurt in the middle.