with Rhubarb Compote
by Ashley Jerome
With spring here, it’s time to start opening your fridge—and your palate—to all the wonderful foods that make a triumphant return to our local farmer’s markets and CSAs. Try out this rich, sweet dessert on a warm spring night and reawaken your kitchen prowess.
For the Cheesecake:
- 1 ¼ cups + 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 oz. Shellbark Hollow Farm’s Plain Goat Cheese, softened
- 6 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Blend together 1¼ cup flour and ¼ cup sugar in an electric mixer. Add butter and mix until the mixture comes together coarsely. Press evenly into the bottom of a springform pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix cream cheese, goat cheese and mascarpone in a mixer for two to three minutes. Add ¾ cup sugar, salt, 4 tbsp. flour and eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour mixture into springform pan. Bake for one hour. Use a knife to gently separate the cake from the sides of the pan. Cool to room temperature and put in the fridge for at least two hours. Serve cold.
For the Compote:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- ½ sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 ½ cups chopped rhubarb
Bring first four ingredients to a boil. Add rhubarb, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for four minutes. Transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge for at least one hour. Serve cold.