Are you a bike-riding, garden-growing, veggie-composting, design enthusiast who has a passion for print? Red Flag Media, a growing independent magazine publisher based in Philadelphia, PA, seeks a talented and versatile designer who will create page layouts for Grid, RFM's award-winning, monthly sustainability magazine.
The designer will also create a range of marketing materials, including the magazine’s presence online, collateral for conferences and events, and social media. The person in this position is also responsible for designing advertisements for Grid and may be asked to manage additional production work and projects.
The designer will produce press-ready, high-resolution PDFs for print. Experience with four-color page production and online soft-proofing/approval is a plus. A keen eye for designing and evaluating infographics that communicate complex concepts and data sets is also highly desirable. Must be fluent in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, comfortable with web design, and familiar with Squarespace. Experience with art direction and magazine production is a plus.
The ideal candidate will display a strong portfolio of publication design, branding and poster work. We’re looking for a quick study who is curious, industrious and capable of working effectively in a collaborative environment. You must thrive on a mix of creative design challenges and less glamorous production duties.
A passion for sustainability and for print is a must.
This is a full-time, mid-level position with generous benefits stationed in our Center City Philadelphia office. Salary is $35K to $42K, commensurate with experience.
Monthly Editorial Design Duties:
- Participate in Grid editorial planning meetings, helping to shape and direct content from concept to print
- Design features, departments, covers and reviews
- Acquire and format images, including basic color-correction and image editing (masking, extending backgrounds, etc.)
- Assign and direct photographers (typically one or two shoots a month) and do basic retouching
- Generate and/or assign and direct illustrators (typically two illustrations per month)
Monthly Advertising Design Duties:
- Coordinate internally with ad sales team to build ads to spec
- Provide proofs and make requested changes
- Traffic and preflight supplied advertisements
- Build Grid online flipbook
Additional Monthly Duties:
- Create graphics for the website, social media, e-mail blasts, and other marketing materials
- Assist with other RFM titles and projects
- Manage art invoices
Applications are due April 20. Our interview period begins the week of April 18.
We care about cover letters. Explain your interest, convey your passion, and tell us why you want to be a part of our team. Please send the cover letter and your résumé in a combined PDF, as well as a link to your online portfolio, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include "Grid Designer" in the subject line of your email. No calls or drop-ins, please.
We apologize that we will only be contacting those candidates that we wish to interview, and we thank you in advance for your interest in joining our team.