This week, the fracking industry is back in Philadelphia for their annual conference, giving citizen groups a great opportunity to voice their opposition to the controversial natural gas drilling technique.
Like last year, the Shale Gas Outrage organization is working with the Philadelphia nonprofit Protecting Our Waters to lead a rally and march outside the conference. The public demonstration on Sept. 20 will bring together citizen groups and individuals to demand an end to fracking and better protection of local environments and economies.
Speakers at the rally will include Bill McKibben, author and president of 350.org; Sandra Steingraber Ph.D., ecologist, author; and John Fox, director of Gasland, among others.
Following the rally and march will be an interfaith Blessing of the Waters. Then, on Friday, Sept. 21, the College of Physicians will host a Health and Gas Drilling conference.
For more about the Shale Gas Outrage events, visit shalegasoutrage.org
Thursday, September 20
- 12-2 pm, Main Rally – Pennsylvania Convention Center, 13th and Arch Streets
- 2-3 pm, March – starts at Broad and Arch Streets, ends at Broad and Walnut Streets
- 5 pm, Blessing of the Waters – Arch Street Methodist Church, Broad and Arch Streets
Friday, September 21
- 8:30-12 pm, Health and Gas Drilling Conference – College of Physicians, 19S. 22nd St.
- 1:30-5:30 pm, Mini-Organizing Conference: Freedom from Fracking 2012 – Friends Center, 1515 Cherry St.