Just because it's 2012 don't kick your Christmas tree to the curb! Recycle it! Building on the success of previous years' treecycling efforts, more than 20 local, civic and nonprofit organizations are working together to recycle trees this year. If you leave your tree out at the curb to be picked up by the city, it will go to a landfill or incinerator. Instead, bring your tree to one of the treecycling events happening throughout the city?
Bartlett Tree Experts and Schectman Tree Care are sponsoring volunteer groups this weekend, January 7 and 8, to give trees a second life as mulch in local dog runs, community gardens and parks. Find your neighborhood event below, and help keep those trees out of the landfill. (A $5 donation is suggested to help defray costs, and all decorations must be removed.)
Saturday, January 7
- Fishtown/Kensington/Port Richmond (9:30a.m.-12:30p.m.) - Join NKCDC, FNA, ORCA at Palmer Dog Depot (E. Palmer St. on north side of Blair St.) **SPECIAL BONUS: They'll also be collecting household electronics for recycling at this event.**
- South Philly (10a.m. - 4p.m.) - Join Passyunk Sq., E. Passyunk Crossing, Newbold Neighbors, and Lower Moyamensing Neighborhood Association at Columbus Square Park (13th & Reed Sts)
- Lower South Philly (1 - 4p.m.) - Marconi Plaza (Broad St. & Oregon Ave.)
- Northern Liberties (10a.m. - 4p.m.) - Join NLNA at Liberty Lands Park (3rd St. & Poplar St.)
- Queen Village/Society Hill/South Street (11a.m. - 1p.m.) 2 Locations! - Weccacoe Playground (400 block of Catherine St.) AND in front of Whole Foods on South St. (929 South St.) by Queen Village Neighborhood Association, Queen Village Sustainability Committee, South Street Headhouse District and Society Hill Civic Association
- West/Southwest Philly (9:30a.m. - 12:30p.m.) - Bartram’s Garden (54th St. & Lindbergh Blvd.)
- University City/West Philly (10a.m. - 4p.m.) - Join UC Green and the University City District at Clark Park (43rd St. and Chester Ave.) **SPECIAL BONUS: They'll also be collecting household electronics for recycling at this event.**
Sunday, January 8
- Center City (9:30a.m. - 12:30p.m.) - Logan Square Neighbors at the Boy Scouts parking lot (22nd St. & Winter St.)
- Fairmount/Art Museum (1 - 4p.m.) - Friends of Eastern State Penitentiary (22nd St. & Brown St.)
- Chestnut Hill (9:30a.m. - 12:30p.m.) - Green in Chestnut Hill at Norwood Fontbonne School on Sunset Ave.
- Mt. Airy (1 - 4p.m.) - East Mt. Airy Neighbors at Gabbie’s Garden on Chew Ave.
If you can't make it to any of these events, you can drop your tree off for recycling until January 14 from 8a.m. to 6p.m. (Monday through Saturday) at any one of the three Streets Department Sanitation Convenience Centers:
- Southwest: 3033 South 63rd Street
- Northwest: Domino Lane & Umbria Street
- Northeast: State Road & Ashburner Street