Still pouring over the just-released GRID 2011 gift guide for presents that benefit the environment and local economy? Take a moment to hit the streets for some events that not only offer unique gifts made with love from the Philadelphia community, but also provide a festive atmosphere that will brighten your holiday shopping. Mark your calendar with these great opportunities to support some inspiring local talent, find perfect presents and let your last minute shopping fears melt away.
- If just the thought of holiday shopping stresses you out, ease your way into the task with the Waldorf School’s Whispering Wood shopping boutique. Relax in Whispering Wood’s atmosphere of essential oils and soothing instrumental music from Waldorf parent, Peter Price, while picking up some unique children’s toys hand-crafted from all natural materials. The boutique (6819 Greene St.) is open Friday, December 9 from 11:00 am to 8:00 pm and December 10 and 11 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Perhaps your level of holiday-induced anxiety requires a stronger remedy. If so, hit up the Philadelphia Independent Craft Market’s 2nd Annual Holiday Show for beautifully handmade crafts, works of art and vintage items – plus, free Pabst Blue Ribbon sponsored drinks. The market boasts more than 45 vendors and live music from The Spinning Joneses and Hezekiah Leaves, Sisters 3, The Great Unknown and Levee Drivers. Take the edge off your shopping at show (2424 York St.) happening December 17 from 1:00pm to 8:00 pm.
- When it’s time to deck the halls, get all your holiday greenery from Greensgrow Farms Holiday Bazaar. At this Kensington urban farm you'll find everything from a quirky Christmas cactus to a towering evergreen tree to spruce up your home. Also, don’t forget to check out Greensgrow’s selection of goods from Philly crafters and artists. Visit the bazaar (2501 E. Cumberland Ave.) this weekend, December 10 and 11, and next weekend, December 17 and 18, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Don’t leave those evergreen branches bare! Add some charm to your tree with ornaments from a variety of Philly’s crafting and sewing geniuses, available at Nice Things…Handmade’s 2nd Saturday Holiday Ornament Show. Shopping begins December 10 at 7:00 pm until 10:00 pm at the boutique (1731 East Passyunk Ave.).
- For the pickiest holiday shoppers, the Mount Airy Art Garage is rotating its selection of locally made art every weekend in addition to offering a selection of handmade goods to satisfy almost any taste. Discover all Philly’s local talent has to offer in the form of leather goods, stained glass art, jewelry, photography, live music from a variety of neighborhood acts and much more. Partake in the creative festivities this weekend, December 10 and 11, and next weekend, December 17 and 18, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (11 West Mt. Airy Ave.).
- Missy Steinberg