I feel more ready for this week than most weeks—maybe it's because I am full of high post-Memorial Day spirits. Yesterday my friends and I went to a watering hole in Northern Maryland and spent the entire day on a rock in the sun. Vitamin D feels good.
Also good: Vegetarian versions of old summertime salad favorites. We were fully prepared with our food for the day—coolers packed with brew, vegan "egg" salad and almost-vegan "chicken" salad. The chicken salad was my favorite but I can't find a recipe for it online (I think because it's a secret). The special ingredients—blue cheese (non-vegan) and green grapes—were what made it so good! Both salads used vegan mayonnaise (so they wouldn't go bad in the sun). Here is a recipe from Post Punk Kitchen that resembles the vegan egg salad we shared. Lots of wonderful flavors after the jump:
Tofu "Egg" Salad
- two medium bowls
- 1 tetra pack extra firm silken tofu, like Mori-Nu
- 1 or 2 celery ribs, minced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, vegenaise, nayonaise, etc
- 1 tsp lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard (3/4 tsp if you like spicy)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp celery seed (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- black pepper, to taste
- other fresh or dry herbs like dillweed, chives
- Empty the tofu and minced celery into a bowl, set aside.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl, and whisk until combined.
- Pour over the tofu, and mix with a fork until the tofu breaks down and it looks like egg salad.