Pennypack Farm and Education Center’s mission is to make "local sustainable agriculture an important part of our community through farming, education and community events.” The organization is adamant about providing locally-produced, humane and toxin-free food as well as environmental education to its patrons. Pennypack Farm offers both summer/fall and winter/spring shares that run for six months each.
What makes Pennypack stand out from other CSAs is the fact that members come to the farm and choose the vegetables for their share, like you would at a farmers market. Depending on the number of units share members pay for, they may pick as much or as little as they’d like. Some crops are even offered as “U-Pick,” meaning members actually trek out into the fields and harvest themselves. These crops include peas, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, fresh herbs and flowers.
Pennypack Farm CSA Facts:
For the summer/fall season a Large Share of 10 units is $710 and a Small Share of 6 units is $485. In the winter/spring, only a 6 unit Small Share is offered for $365.
- The summer/fall share begins in late May or early June and runs until mid-November. There are 24 weekly pickups. This share for the 2010 season is currently sold out, but those interested may sign up for the waitlist.
- The winter/spring share begins mid-November and runs weekly through December. It then continues on a monthly or twice monthly basis through May.
- All members of the summer/fall CSA must agree to provide 4 hours of farm or farm related work for the season. Those interested in a work share can pay a nominal fee for a share in exchange for two to three hours of labor each week throughout the summer/fall season and every pick-up week during the winter.
- Pennypack Farm also offers a canning tomato share to those interested, featuring organic heirloom tomatoes.
- Members can choose to split their share with a friend or family member.
Pennypack Farm 685 Mann Road, Horsham, PA 19044